Early to Rise

There is no reason, except classes, why any students should have to get up before nine o'clock. A modicum of action by the library and dining hall authorities could insure that they don't.

All Lamont Library has to do is to put a book-return box in each House. Students will put library books in these boxes when they finish studying at night. A truck will pick up the books from the boxes at 8:45 a.m. and take them to Lamont. This will be better for the Library, since the easier procedure will encourage more books to come back on time.

The dining halls can play their part in this bold new program by discriminating against both of the people who eat before eight o'clock, in the interests of the hordes who scratch and whine pitifully at the door at half past nine. Dining hall authorities admit this will not interfere with preparations for lunch; it will just be an adjustment to fact.

Both of these proposals have appeared here before. But the comparison of today's forced early rising with the leisure of yesterday prompts repetition. Another repetition should not be necessary.