Grad Council Asks Maid Service Cut

Thorough administration consideration is being given to the Graduate Student Council suggestions that graduate students be given the option of having only one third of the present maid service.

The Council met "off-the-record" last night with Provost Buck and Dean Cronkhite and discussed ways of reducing costs to students. Under the Council plan, a dormitory room would receive one thorough and one light cleaning a week.

A five-morning work week for one woman would replace a six-morning one for three women. Students deciding to take less maid service would be grouped on one or more floors in each building, the Council suggests.

The two-thirds savings in maid costs, the Council feels, would offset the recent rise in graduate rents from an average of $252 a year per man to an average of $286.

No Announcement Yet

The administration has not yet announced that full maid service will be required next year for all graduate students, and, if the limited maid service program were to be accepted, it might go into effect next fall.

In the College, maids are reported about to ask for a five-day week. Officials fear that severe reduction of undergraduate maid service may eventually have to be considered if room rents are to be kept "reasonable."