Varsity Netmen Face Tigers Today

Orange-Black Tennis Squad Provides 1st Home Opposition

By Humphrey Doermann

The varsity tennis team will officially open the home season when it takes on Princeton at 3 p.m. today.

The Crimson goes into the match the underdog, as the Tigers this year boast one of the most powerful teams in the country. Gil Bogley, National Junior Champion, will probably play number one for the Orange and Black squad of nationally ranked amateurs.

Although Princeton is heavily favored, tennis coach Jack Barnaby expressed a note of encouragement yesterday. "Although we have no national stars on the team, the morale this year has been fine. The whole squad is building steadily and they showed against Wesleyan on Wednesday that they all could come through."

Unlike many college coaches, Barnaby encourages his players to adopt a method of play suited to their personality and build.

Broward Craig's game in the number one singles slot features daring and aggressive play. His quick, decisive not rushes will surprise many opponents this year. "He has improved as much in four years an any man I have ever had playing for me," Coach Barnaby commented.

Captain Billiard Hughes has the cagiest, most mature game on the squad. One of his main assets is the ability to size up accurately his opponent's weaknesses. Consequently his cool play generally improves as the match progresses.

Jack Frey and Dave Gordon at number three and five singles respectively are the most nearly similar. Both emphasize steady baseline play and often outrally their opponents. They both, however, must learn decisive net play to rank with Hughes and Craig.

Frey specializes in a fine forehand while Gordon's main forte is endurance. He will win most of the marathon matches this spring.

Bob Kaynes features a looping twist serve and an accurate, hard-to-handle slice backhand. Like Frey and Gordon, Kaynes needs authority at the net, but the past week has shown improvement in this department.

Bob Bramhall, while the greenest player in the first six, is already the most spectacular. His blasting cannonball serve combined with an "eggball" have already proved effective. Against Army this spring, he won a game hitting four aces.

Craig and Hughes form the first doubles team while Bramhall and Gerry Murphy, Bramhall's doubles partner in service tournaments and another hard-hitter, make the second combination. The third doubles will be chosen from the list including Craig Combs, Chase Peterson, Dave Aldrich, Mitch Roese, Bill Goodman, Charley Hubbard, and Ed Bacon.