Freshman Nine Tops Brown, 8-5; Rugby Squad Defeats M.I.T., 8-0

Fine relief pitching by Fred Rhinelander gave the freshman baseball team an 8 to 5 win over Brown Saturday. Meanwhile, the Yarding B team, behind Luke Lockwood, trimmed Groton, 4 to 1.

Replacing starter Scot Ricketson in the sixth with the tying run on second, Rhinelander, aided by a timely double play, ended the inning without any scoring, and went on to shut out the Bruin Cubs for the rest of the game.

The Crimson got only five hits off Dave Traynor, while Brown raked Ricketson and Rhinelander for ten, but the Yardlings made the most of five walks and six Brown errors.

A pair of first inning passes, followed by Russ Johnson's long triple, gave the freshmen a two-run lead. Brown tied it up in the third, but the Yardlings scored four in the fourth. They were never headed thereafter.

The rugby team evened its season's record at three wins and three defeats with an 8 to 0 victory over M.I.T. Saturday afternoon on the Tech football field. Scoring twice in the first half, the Crimson ruggers dominated the whole game.

Thorpe Kelly fell on the ball behind the M.I.T. goal line at 15 minutes of the first period for the first Crimson try. At the 22-minute-mark Sam Adams broke through on a 35-yard run, and lateraled to Sam Butler, who scored the second three points. The play covered about 50 yards. John Cotter added the two-point conversion.

The Crimson ruggers were the only ones with any scoring punch, although a strong headwind in the second half enabled M.I.T. to bottle them up with long kicks. Hol French, Adams, and Butler were the stars of the game for Harvard with Lew Travis excelling in the scrums.