Nine Defeats Cross On White's Steal

By Peter B. Taub

Johnny White stole home with two out in the seventh inning here Saturday to give the varsity baseball team a 5 to 4 victory, its first of the season, over Holy Cross. It was Harvard's first win over the Crusaders in six years and Stuffy McInnis' first success with a Crimson nine against his ex-teammate and coaching rival, Jack Barry.

White reached third on a single, a sacrifice, and an infield out, and the fleet infielder took advantage of Dick Shellenbach's long wind-up to get a substantial lead. Shellenbach, who relieved starter Jim O'Neill after White's single, attempted to nick the batter when he saw White tearing down the base-line and the Crusaders argued that Charlie Walsh had been hit. Had Shellenbach succeeded, the ball would have been dead and White forced back to third.

Lafty Barry Turner went all the way giving 10 hits but showing admirable control in issuing only one base on balls and using a nice slow curve. The Worcester entry get two runs in the first inning on two singles and a sacrifice, one in the fourth on a triple and a long fly, and one in the seventh on Johnny Turco's homer to right field. The visitors got three singles in the sixth but failed to score.

Harvard put together three walks, a double steal on which Ed Foynes came home, and a scoring single by Walsh to collect two runs in the first inning. Myles Huntington's triple to right in the third scored a brace of unearned runs.

The locals handled themselves with considerable more finesse in the field than they did against BC last Wednesday. The play of Foynes and Huntington was especially commendable.

HARVARD (5)  ab  r  h  po  a  eFoynes, rf, cf  4  1  1  2  0  0Caulfield, 1b  4  0  0  11  0  0White, ss  4  1  1  1  1  5  0Moffle, ef, rf  1  1  0  3  0  0Crosby, c  3  1  0  4  1  1Walsh, lf  4  0  1  1  0  0Huntington, 3b  3  0  1  1  3  0Cavanaugh, 2b  3  1  1  4  3  0Turner, p  2  0  0  0  2  0Totals  23  5  5  27  14