Crimson Varsity, Freshman Nines Lose to BU

Yardlings Get Only Three Hits in 4-2 Loss; Wildness, 4 Errors Cost Crimson Game

Southpaw Billy O'Donell of Boston University snapped the freshman baseball team's winning streak at five games yesterday, pitching three hit ball to lead the Terriers to a 4 to 2 victory. John Canepa got two of the safe blows off O'Donell.

O'Donell was never in serious trouble until the last inning, when the Yardlings had the tying runs on base with two out. But he retained enough staff to strike out Jim O'Brlen, ending the threat and the game. Paul McDonald, BU catcher, helped O'Donell by throwing out four Crimson base stealers.

Bob Ward went all the way for the freshmen and was charged with his first loss. He has won two games.

Ward Passes Ten

Ward's wildness was his downfall, although four physical errors and a couple of mental lapses by the Yardlings also contributed to the defeat. Ward issued 10 passes, three of which were instrumental in BU's scoring. He allowed eight hits.

Two boners by George Chase, the Crimson's usually reliable third baseman, set up the first Terrier run in the second inning. With BU's John Poce on second. Ward had apparently picked the Terrier off. But in the ensuing rundown, Chase bobbled the ball, allowing Poce to regain second safely.

McDonald then reached first when Ward tripped fielding his bunt, and the bases were loaded. Ward again trapped Poce, this time off third. Chase, however, failed to cover the bag. Safe a second time, Poce promptly tallied on a long fly.

Walt Greeley's speed tied the game in the Yardlings half of the inning. Greeley walked and went all the way to third when the Terrier shortstop booted O'Brlen's grounder. He later scored on a delayed steal, while O'Brien was being run down.

BU Leads in Third

BU went ahead again in the third inning without a hit. Al Piper walked, stole second and scored on a two base muff by Greeley.

The Terriers threatened in the sixth, but a fine peg from Canepa to catcher Chuck Wade cut off the potential score.

Third baseman Gene Zubrinski singled home the third BU run in the eighth, and an error by Wade let the final Terrier run cross in the ninth.

The Yardlings travel to Tufts tomorrow and play Andover at home on Saturday. At present Dolph Samborski's crew has a record of five wins and one defeat.

Lefty Scott Ricketson who was blasted out of the bov against Brown Saturday, will probably start against Tufts.