University Granted 5 Years' Extension for Vanserg Use

Dunster Petition Postponed

The Cambridge Board of Appeals yesterday granted the University a five year extension on the use of the temporary Vanserg Building. At the same time, the Board delayed decision on Dunster House's request to rezone 7 Cowperthwaite Street for a House parking lot.

Charles C. Pyne, assistant to vice-President Reynolds, and Cecil A. Roberts, director of Buildings and Grounds, presented the University's case in City Hall. They met with no opposition from nearby property owners around the Divinity School area. Pyne pointed out to the three-man Board that. Vanserg housed electronic research projects under government contract, and the NROTC Headquarters.

Pyne is not certain what the University will do when the five-year extension expires. It is possible, he said, that a permanent building will be constructed to replace the wooden Vanserg.

The Mathematics Department and the graduate dining facilities are in Vanserg. When the dining facilities are shifted to the new graduate center this fall, geological work now in Rotch Hall will use the vacated space.

Dunster's Lot

Dunster House representatives William H. Claflin '50, Alvin H. Baum '52, and Richard M. Edelman '52 had less success with their case. City Councilman Edward Sullivan and property owner Mrs. Eva Bakas opposed Dunster's request to use the University property for a parking lot.

Claflin stated Dunster's case. He said that the proposed parking lot would help solve the city's parking problem, that rates in neighborhood parking lots are too high, and that a parking lot would improve the condition of the property.

Sullivan, who said he came as a spokesman for his constituency, claimed there was no need for additional parking facilities. Mrs. Bakas objected that a parking lot would disturb her children.

The Board, because of the opposition, delayed decision until the lot had been examined by officials. It will take at least a week before final word is given.