'53 Crew Again Seeks First Win Today As 150's Open Season Here Against MIT

Varsity, Jayvees, and Freshmen Will Row In Charles Regatta

All three of Bert Haines' 150-pound crews will open their season against MIT today on the Charles. The varsity 'fifties are "just average" because of the late start on the river and poor weather conditions, "but Tech rows on the same river," Haines points out.

The freshman race starts at 4:00 p.m., the junior varsity at 5:00, and the varsity at 5:30, over the mile and three-quarter course in the Basin.

Slow Time Trials

This week's time trials have not been too good, according to Haines. "The varsity and junior varsity have not improved so much as I'd like to see," he comments, "but it is still early in the season." Nothing is known of the Tech crews, except that this is their first race, also.

The varsity boating is the same as Haines announced two weeks ago. Austie Flagg strokes the first eight, Ted Barrett rows seven, Ted House six, John Morgan five, Frank Benson four, Byrne Marston three, Bob Menslage two, and Sam Allen bow. Bill Chadwick is the cox.

Veteran Wells Strokes Jayvees

The junior varsity will be stroked by veteran Jerry Wells, with Walt Lundergan seven, Bill Murdoch six, Barry Decker five, John Beggs four, Chick Abeles three, Sutton Potter two, and Dick Gillies bow. Charlie Osborn is the cox.

Haines' freshman boat--well up to average, he says--is stroked by Pete Bullard. Dick Lincoln rows seven, Bill Wetmore six, Horatio Burns five, Andy Leighton four, Charley Humpstone three, John Lincoln two, and Bill Glenn bow. Morrill Ordesky will be at cox.