Faculty Members Attack U.S. Trust In Atom Weapons

Eleven members of the faculty joined five M.I.T. instructors yesterday in condemning current United States faith in atomic power and strategic bombing as the sole bases of national defense.

In a letter to the New York Times, the group made five specific criticisms of our defense policy: it is not equipped to deal with "limited aggression"; it "may weaken the morale and confidence of our European allies"; it is an "indication that American military strategy accepts the principle of mass destruction of human life"; it has made harder any "agreement restricting the use of atomic weapons"; and it may make the use of atomic weapons inevitable in any future war.

Harvard instructors who signed the letter were Professors Arthur M. Schlesinger, C. Crane Brinton '19, John F. Fairbank '29, James K. Galbraith, Seymour E. Harris '20, and Charles H. Taylor. Associate Professors Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. '38, Myron P. Gilmore, and Robert L. Wolff '36, Assistant Professor John E. Sawyer, and Lecturer McGeorge Bundy.

The group, initiated by M.I.T. professors William R. Hawthorne and Jerrold R. Zacharias, has been discussing this question since last December.