'53 Boat to Row in EARC at Navy; 150's Race Princeton, Yale Away

'50s at Derby

An undetated Crimson 150-pound varsity crew will try to outrow Yale's favored 'fifties over the Henley course on the Housatonic at Derby, Connecticut tomorrow in the three-crew Goldthwaite Cup regatta. Princeton is the third entry. The junior varsity and freshman eights will also race.

Bert Haines' first 'fifties have won the only race they have rowed, against M.I.T. on the Charles two weeks ago. They covered the course in 7:37, beating the Engineers by five lengths. The first eight boating has not changed since then.

"Time trials this week have been only fair," Haines says. The first crew, however, has looked very smooth according to observers at the boathouse.

The Eli 'fifties defeated Penn and Columbia in their last outing, but lost their opener to Kent on April 22. On the basis of recent improvement Eli Coach Roy Rom says his boat has as "good a chance as anyone."

Penn defeated Princeton by two lengths, but the winning time was 6:53.6, 42 seconds--or 10 lengths--better than the Crimson winning time.

These comparative showings give Yale the edge, with the Tiger eight in second position. Princeton won the Cup last year.

In the junior varsity race, the Crimson also enters an undefeated crew. Jerry Wells stroked his boat to a six-length victory over the Engineers two weeks ago, and the crew would have won by more had they not stopped rowing before the finish. Harvard's boating is the same.

Princeton's Jayvees defeated the Penn second crew in a tight contest last week, and is the favorite in the second race. Their time was 6:55.8 as opposed to the Crimson's 7:41. The strength of the Eli junior varsity is a comparative question-mark.

Three changes have been made in the boating of the Crimson freshman crew which has yet to win a race. Two weeks ago it tied M.I.T., and last week, while the varsity and jayvees were idle, it lost to Tabor Academy. With a reformed crew it turned in its best time trial of the year on Wednesday, however.

John Eills has taken over the stroke oar from Pete Bullard, Bob Bourne replaces Dick Lincoln at seven, and John Churchill is in the bow seat in place of Bill Glenn. The rest of the boat in the same as last week. The Tiger freshmen also defeated Penn last week.

The Harvard crews leave at noon today for Derby. The shells have already gone down by train.