Freshman Track Team Runs Against Eli '53 at Soldiers Field Tomorrow

Seeking to avenge a close 62 to 47 defeat in indoor track, the freshman runners, jumpers, and weight tossers carry a clean slate in spring meets into the Stadium against the Elis tomorrow at 1:30 p.m. Events will alternate with those of the varsity meet.

So far the freshmen have outclassed yearling squads from Boston College, Rhode Island State, Exeter, and Dartmouth. But in the winter meeting the Yalies showed better conditions, and a generally faster and stronger squad.

Coach Carl Olsen can rely upon consistent winner Bob Mello for first place points in the pole-vault, high jump, and broad jump. Mello had no trouble capturing the three events from the Elis in the winter meeting, against only middle-class opposition.

Bob Twitchell has improved his already fine hurdling form, but can count on a good deal of trouble in both the 120 highs and 220 lows tomorrow afternoon. A consistent high-scorer for the Blue has been a fast young men named Sid Williams. While his team was being slaughtered by Princeton last weekend, Williams won both hurdles events easily and placed second in the 100-yard dash.

Strong Eli Half-Mile

Harvard is weak in the distances. Eli Warren Clifford has been under two minutes this spring in the half-mile and will meet little Crimson opposition in that event, and could easily take the mile, too.

Another weak spot for Olson's team is the weights. Unlike the case of the varsity, the freshman weight-throwers have contributed little to the team scoring. Yale's Sam Mulligan won the javelin event at Princeton with a toss of over 174 feet. At Dartmouth, Harvard's Lincoln Ferris won under 160.

There's little doubt that the freshmen have improved, however, and it could be close.