Baseball Team Splits Over Weekend

By Herbert S. Meyers

Eight games were played in the Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League this weekend; the varsity won one over Columbia, 7 to 2 and lost one to Princeton, 4 to 3. It remains exactly where it was when the weekend started, in fifth place.

Ira Godin got his elusive first victory of the season on Friday at Baker Field. The loose-fingered Lions committed seven errors afield, as well as several mental lapses, but Godin was on top all the way, striking out nine and pitching shutout ball until the sixth inning.

In the victory, the right-hander limited Columbia to five hits, three of them coming in the sixth when Johnny While's error with one man out and a man on third broke up Godin's shutout.

Although less fortunate in the field, White led the Crimson batsmen with four hits for five times at bat. Ed Foynes and John Caulfield were the only other men to bit safely, getting two hits apiece.

At Palmer Stadium on Saturday, the Crimson entered the final frame with a one run lead, but lost out when George Emmons, who relieved Barry Turner, walked in the winning run.

Turner, who had given up only scattered hits until the ninth, allowed Tiger catcher Will Prior his fourth straight single in the first half of the inning and Prior scored on a pinch hit single by John Emery. With the game tied, one out and two men on base, Emmons entered the ball game and issued two straight walks. The second walk, to shortstop Jim Fairfield, forced in the winning run.

The cumulative summary:   ab  r  h  po  a  o Foynes, cf  8  3  3  4  0  0 Caulfield, 1b  10  2  5  13  6  0 White, ss  9  0  4  8  9  2 Crosby, c  8  0  1  12  0  0 Akillian, lf  6  0  1  6  0  0 Robinson, rf  4  0  0  0  0  0 Carman, rf  2  1  0  4  1  0 Huntington, 3b  9  0  2  2  3  1 Cavanaugh, 2b  7  2  0  3  1  1 Godin, p  1  1  0  0  2  0 Turner, p  4  1  2  0  0  0 Emmons, p  0  0  0  0  0  0   --  --  --  --  --  -- Totals  68  10  18  52*  22  4 *One out when winning run was scored by Princeton.