Tossup Expected as Young Blues Vie With '53 Nine

Bob Ward, winner of three games for the freshman baseball team, will be out for the big one tomorrow at New Haven, where the Yardlings meet the Yale freshmen in a game that appears to be about even.

The Elis have a season's record of five wins and four losses, while the Yardlings have won eight and lost four.

Pitching depth could win this one for the Crimson. The Blues have little to offer beyond starter Bob Brown, while Yardling Coach Dolph Samborski has Fred Rhinelander and Scot Ricketson to back up Ward.

Brown is the best hitter on the Yale team, and bats in the cleanup position. His battery mate, catcher Mickey Chasan off, is also a long ball hitter.

Two Good Infields

The Bulldogs have a smooth infield, especially around second base, where shortstop Eddie Smith and Captain Chris Emerson form a well-balanced double-play combination about equal to the Crimson keystone pair, Walt Greeley and John Canepa.

In the outfield, though, Yale is at a definite disadvantage. The Eli trio of Dave Reed, Bruce Sands, and Frank Budinot cannot compare with the Yardling's speedy outfield. Russ Johnson, Captain Bob Smith, and John Collins are better hitters than any of the Blue gardeners, with the possible exception of Reed.

Yardlings Better Hitters

The Crimson will generally hold a slight edge at the plate. With George Chase well out of his midseason slump, and Greeley also beginning to hit hard, the first six men in the batting order will all be long ball threats.

Samborski will probably stick with the lineup he has used all season. Besides Chase, Greeley, and Canapé in the infield, he will play Jim O'Brien an first.

Chuck Wade, the experienced backstop who has handled most of the Yardling catching this year, will again start behind the bat. Though slow afoot, Wade is an intelligent receiver. He works well with Ward.

Centerfielder Sands is Yale's best out fielder. He has a strong, accurate peg, and can go long distances for fly balls. His hitting, however, is rather weak; he bats ninth.

Should Brown he removed from the box, Yale Coach Pete Raynor would probably have to take Emerson off of second base and put him on the mound.

On the basis of comparative scores the Crimson holds a scant advantage. Yale beat Brown, 11 to 7, while the Yardlings won by only 8 to 5. However, Dartmouth beat both teams, pounding the Blues, 8 to 4, while barely nipping the Crimson, 5 to 3.

The lineups: HARVARD  YALE Canepa, 2b  Smith, ss Smith (c), cf  Kingsley, 1b Collins, rf  Reed, lf Johnson, lf  R. Brown, p Chase, 3b  Emerson (c), 2b Greeley, ss  J. Brown, 3b O'Brien, 1b  Chasanoff, c Wade, c  Budinot, rf Ward, p  Sands, cf