Track Team to Vie in Heptagonals; Home Tennis Tourney Opens Today

Down at Yale's DeWitt Cuyler Field tomorrow, strong, well-balanced track squads from Yale and Army will be favored contenders for the team crown in the 16th annual Heptagonal games with Cornell a good dark horse choice.

Other colleges entered are Harvard, Brown, Columbia, Dartmouth, Pennsylvania, and Princeton.

The vastly improved Crimson varsity can wind up among the first three Jaakko Mikkola is taking 16 potential scorers to New Haven tonight.

Against competition like Yale's Spence Cone, Gould Donahue, Jim Fuchs, and Vic Frank, Brown's Gil Borjeson, and Dartmouth's Al Reich, the Crimson weight-throwers will have a trying afternoon. Charlie Keith and Don Trimble should do well with the javelin. But Geoff Tootell and Al Wilson with the discus, Tootell and Trimble with the shot, and Eric Stromsted with the hammer will face the top men in the East.

Berman Out of Half

Cadets Dick Shea and Jim Thompson and Elis Ed Mearns and George Wade figure to take the two-mile away from Dick White and Hank Everett, and Yale and Army distance men will make it tough for Dave Cairns in the mile.

Jim Downey will be overshadowed by Cornell's Bob Mealey and at least three Yale runners in the 880. Ronnie Berman will probably be held out of the half to run a lap of the mile relay, in which the Crimson has an excellent chance to score. Besides Berman, other relaters will be selected from Tom McGrath, Harvey Thayer, Ed Grutzner, Lou Tsavaris, and Joe Walsh.

Dave Carter is a sure bet to score in the broad jump and possibly the 100, with Bill Geick a dark horse in the jump. Charlie Durakis could salvage a place in the hurdles. In the quarter, Thayer and Grutzner will get the principal opposition from Charley Moore of the Big Red and Jack Hammack of Army.

Twelve New England colleges will be represented on the Soldiers Field courts this morning in the annual New England Intercollegiate Lawn Tennis Association tournament. Play starts at 10 a.m. and will continue tomorrow and Sunday.

Amherst looks like the strong contender with Bill Smith, defending singles champion, and second seeded Ed Wesley leading the lineup. As a doubles combination, Smith and Wesley haven't lost a set this season; they are seeded first.

Other teams to watch are Williams, Dartmouth, and Harvard. The Crimson has improved steadily all season. Hilliard Hughes is seeded seventh in singles and the doubles combination of Hughes and Broward Craig is fourth. Yale will not compete in the tournament because of a conflicting match with Princeton.

Craig Injured

The big question mark for the Crimson is the leg muscle Craig pulled earlier this week. Coach Jack Barnaby said last night that while Craig would definitely play doubles, a medical examination this morning would determine his fitness for singles play. Barnaby is not allowed under N.E.I.L.T.A. rules to substitute for Craig if the report is unfavorable.

Jack Frey fills out the Crimson's entries in singles, and Bob Bramhall and Chase Peterson are the second doubles combination. They have not had too much experience as a team, but will be tough to beat if they click.

Yesterday, the Yardling net team beat Williams in a well-deserved 6 to 3 victory. Tomorrow the freshman "A" and "B" teams play at Andover at 2:00.