Cricketers Beats India Club By 50 Runs in 1-Day Match

The Harvard Cricket Club defeated the India Cricket Club of New York, 101 to 51, at Smith Field Saturday in the first match played by a Harvard team since 1906.

The Indians batted first, in the morning, and were unable to do much scoring off the offerings of Jehangir Mugaseth and Phillip Hutchinson. Hutchinson claimed six wickets for a total of 20 runs, while Mugaseth had four wickets for 12 runs.

Patel was high scorer for India with 19 runs, while four members of the visiting team were held scorless. The Indian squad was made up mainly of Columbia students, with some members of the Indian consulate staff also playing.

In the afternoon, Harvard took over and batted around its 12-man team, though the issue had been decided after only seven wickets had fallen. Captain Ian Stewart duplicated Patel's score with 19. Hutchinson had 18, and Bruce Cheek had 16. Both sides used 12 players instead of the regular 11, to give more men a chance to play.

Harvard: Mugaseth, 10, caught out; Wright, 5, bowled; Collyer, 4, bowled; Seaga, 0, bowled; Dharamsey, 3, bowled; Hutchinson, 18, caught out; Butlin, 10, bowled; MacIntyre, 1, run out; Stewart 19, caught out; Cheek, 16, run out; Cooke, 5, bowled; Travis, 0, not out.