Eli Freshmen Top '53 Lacrosse and Baseball Squads

NEW HAVEN, May 20--Both freshman squads lost here today as the Blue lacrosse team nipped the Yardlings, 9 to 5, and the nine waltzed to an easy 7 to 1 victory.

Playing a heavily-favored Eli ten, the lacrosse team showed its best spirit of the year, holding the high-scoring Bulldogs to nine goals. The Yardlings' body checking was hard and slowed the Elis considerably.

The Bulldogs took a 3 to 0 first period lead, and though the freshmen held the Elis to a virtual standstill through the rest of the game, they never could tie the score. The Yardlings' final record for the year was eight and six.

Weak Performance

The baseball team tripped badly both at bat and in the field, making a total of only three hits, and committing five errors to lose their fifth; they won eight. The Bulldogs collected 11 safeties off the combined offerings of starter Bob Ward and reliever Fred Rhinelander.

Yale pitcher Chris Emerson hurled near perfect ball, striking out 13. He had a no-hitter until George Chase blooded a fourth inning single to left. But by that time the Blues had piled up a 3 to 0 lead, to which they added three more in the fourth and one in the fifth. John Canepa scored the lone Yardling run--unearned--in the eighth.