Net Team Loses, 11-4, to Yale; '53 Downs Blue, 5-4

Power-laden Eli doubles was the main factor in Yale's 11-4 victory over the Crimson tennis team at New Haven yesterday afternoon. The Blue squad held only a 6-4 margin at the end of the singles, but consistent hard serving and smashing swept all five of the doubles. Corey Wynn's freshman squad struck a bright note for the future, though, registering a 5-4 win, also on foreign courts.

Singles Come Through

The showing of Jack Barnaby's singles order proved that Harvard was up for this one. Bob Bramhall at number three out blasted Intercollegiate Squash Champion Ted Hands for a 6-3, 0-6, 6-3 win.

Jack Frey and Bob Kaynes, playing their last match for the Crimson at four and five, hung on to outsteady last year's flashy Eli freshman one-two punch of Al Fischi and Al Schwartz. Frey took Fischi 6-4, 6-1, while Kaynes beat Schwartz 6-3, 7-5.

Lee Nutt, playing his first and last match for Harvard, out steadied Nelson Hooe 6-1, 6-2, at number ten for the final varsity win.

Aaron Cohodes and Paul Tobias in the sixth and seventh slots also almost upset their opponents, stretching their matches to three sets. The Eli one-two combination of Dick Norris and Charley Lynch showed unexpected power in straight set wins over Broward Craig and Captain Hilliard Hughes.

Only the second doubles team of Bramhall and Chase Peterson came close to withstanding Yale doubles power, drawing the match to three sets. The other four Blue Combinations, all polished teams, took straight set wins.

Freshmen Win

Charley Ufford and Art French provided the backbone of the Yardling attack, taking singles victories from highly rated Ted Phenix and Hank Blodgett and then combining at first doubles to beat the pair again.

Berk Johnson made a fine comeback at fifth singles to take his man 0-6, 7-5, 7-5, while Dick Myers at six delivered the final win in straight sets.

The Varsity summary:

Singles--Norris (Y) defeated Craig, 6-4, 6-2; Lynch (Y) defeated Hughes, 6-0, 6-0, Bramhall (H) defeated Hand, 6-3, 0-6, 6-3; Frey (H) defeated Fischi, 6-4, 6-1; Kaynes (H) defeated Schwartz, 6-3, 7-5; Stokes (Y) defeated Cohodes, 5-7, 6-1, 6-1; Sloat (Y) defeated Tobias, 1-6, 6-3, 6-1; Bright (Y) defeated Reese, 6-3, 6-1; Smith (Y) defeated Murphy, 6-4, 6-2; Nutt (H) defeated Hooe, 6-1, 6-2.

Doubles--Norris and Lynch (Y) defeated Craig and Hughes, 6-0, 6-3; Hand and Fischl (Y) defeated Bramhall and Peterson, 4-6, 6-2, 7-5; Schwartz and Sloat (Y) defeated Combs and Goodman, 7-5, 6-4; Bliss and Hooe (Y) defeated Frey and Kaynes (H), 7-5, 6-2; Stokes and Wood (Y) defeated Nutt and Fuller (H), 6-0, 6-3