The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

'53 Nine Survives Shaky 1st Inning to Swamp MIT, 14-4

M.I.T.'s light-hitting freshman team throw a mild scare into the Yardling nine yesterday, taking a two-run lead in the first inning. But the Crimson had enough left to explode with six runs in the top half of the second, eventually winning, 14 to 4.

Bob Ward, number one freshman pitcher, allowed six hits in winning his third game of the season. He fanned ten and walked only three. But John Canepa, freshman second baseman, was the game's individual star. He lined out three hits, including a double and a two-run homer, batted in three runs, stole two bases, and had a perfect day afield.

The only time Canepa didn't reach base was the first inning, when he struck out to begin the game. But John Collins walked, went to third on Captain Bob Smith's single, and scored on a fielder's choice.

The Yardlings blew the game apart in the second, counting six times. Five walks and three Tech miscues helped the Crimson run parade.

After allowing an additional run in the bottom of the inning, Ward settled down, blanking the Engineers for the rest of the game. Darkness forced the termination of hostilities after the seventh inning.

Tim Leighton's triple coupled with a squeeze bunt by Catcher Amory Hubbard pushed another Yardling run across in the sixth. With Hubbard on first, Canepa then belted his homer, a hot line drive along the left field foul line.

The Harvard box score:   ab  r  h  po  a  e Canepa, 2b  4  3  3  0  3  0 Greeley, ss  3  2  1  0  3  0 Collins, rf  1  2  0  0  0  0 aDe Rham  0  1  0  0  0  0 O'Brien, 1b  1  0  1  2  0  0 Smith (c), cf  4  0  1  1  0  0 Chase, 3b  4  0  0  1  1  1 Arnow, lf  1  1  0  0  0  0 Leighton, lf  2  1  1  1  0  0 O'Connor, 1b, rf  4  1  1  5  1  1 Hubbard, c  2  3  1  11  1  1 Ward, p  4  0  0  0  1  1 Totals  30  14  9  21  10  4

aRan for Collins in sixth

aRan for Collins in sixth