Key Prepares to Take on Council Service Functions

Crimson Key will be able to take over several of the Student Council's service functions next year, John T. Hazel '51, Key president, disclosed last night. He announced that the Council forum series will definitely be a Key responsibility next year, but he has had no word from the Council on its other service functions.

The move which enabled the Key to expand its activities occurred last week when a meeting of the entire organization voted to expand regular Key membership to 40. In addition to this number, there are 32 representatives of undergraduate organizations who sit with the Key on policy meetings.

According to Hazel, after three years of development, the Key is now on a sound organizational basis and is able to expand its service functions to the College. "Our members believe that this move is in line with the sentiment of the majority of the student body," Hazel stated last night.

In the recent controversy concerning the duties of the Council, the present Council received much criticism on the grounds that its service activities had crowded out its broader purpose of preparing reports for the Dean's Office on University educational policies.

The forum series was very popular this year, and included the spring baseball forum in which Jackie Robinson appeared.

To Handle N.S.A. Chores

In addition to the forum the Key will also take over the function of the NSA in sending information about activities in Cambridge and Boston to visiting colleges during the football season.

Hazel expressed the hope that the Council will recognize the expanded Key as the organization which can take over other service activities currently being carried on by the Council, such as the ticket and transportation exchanges.