B.C.'s 3 Runs in 10th Defeat Godin, 8-5, for Series Sweep

By Winthrop Knowlton

Boston College capitalized to two errors, a triple, and a wild pitch in the tenth inning yesterday afternoon to score three times and hand Stuffy McInnis' nine its third defeat in four games, by an 8 to 5 score. In doing this, the Eagles swept the two-game "city series" between the teams and once again deprived ace righthander lra Godin of his first win of the season.

A meagre Soldiers Field crowd of 75 people watched this wild, three-hour melange which included 23 hits for 31 bases, 23 strikeouts, 15 walks, eight errors, three wild pitches, and two hit batsmen. A stiff breeze blowing from left to right field and a sunny blue sky played havec with the fielders, who staggered aimlessly under fly balls and pop-ups all afternoon.

Righthander Gerry Levinson pitched the route for the victors, scattering nine hits and walking only five men--three of them in the last inning. Though he struck out only seven batters to Godin's 16, Levinson was by far the steadier of the two and set the Crimson down without a hit in six of the ten innings.

After B.C. had scored once in the top of the first without the benefit of a hit, the home team took a 2 to 1 lead in its half of the inning on a single by John Caulfield, two wild pitches, Cliff Crosby's fluke double, and a muffed infield fly.

B.C. Ties in Third

The Eagles tied the score in the third and then, before anyone was retired in the fourth, began tearing into Godin with a vengeance. Levinson doubled sharply down the left field line, Art Collins walked, Billy Ryan tripled to deep right center, Frauny Harrington and Jack Fitzgibbons both got passes, and two runs were in with the bases still leaded. Here Godin reversed his form and proceeded to strike out the side, allowing only Lennie Ceglarski's single, which made the score, 5 to 2.

During the next five innings, the Crimson righthander was in perpetual hot water but managed to avoid being scored upon until the fateful tenth. Meanwhile his teammates picked up a run in the fifth and two more in the seventh, to tie up the score. Singles by Ed Foynes, Caulfield, and Crosby led to the third tally, and a two-run double by Crosby accounted for the remaining two.

Third-baseman Myles Huntington over threw first for a two-base error on Ceglarski's lead-off grounder in the 10th and a second later threw wide on Eddie Collins' grounder, putting men on first and third with no outs. Harry Hewes then lined a long triple to left which scored the winning two runs. Godin's wild pitch brought in Hewes and gave B.C. an insurance run it never needed.

Levinson suddenly lost control in the bottom half of the tenth, leading the bases on walks, but pinch hitter Gordon Ellis ended the threat and the game by grounding into an easy double-play.

The summary:

HARVARD (5)  ab  r  h  po  a  eFoynes, cf  4  2  2  1  0  0Caulfield, 1b  5  1  2  5  0  0White, ss  5  1  1  0  1  0Crosby, c  4  1  3  17  0  1Moffle, rf  3  0  0  2  0  0Akillian, 1f  5  0  0  0  0  0Huntington, 3b  4  0  1  1  1  2Cavanaugh, 2b  4  0  0  4  4  1Godin, p  4  0  0  0  4  0aRobinson  0  0  0  0  0  0bEllis  1  0  0  0  0  0Totals  39  5  9  30  10