Buck Discloses Plans For New Varsity Club

Provost Buck formally announced the University's plans for a new Varsity Club building (pictured above) at the Club's annual luncheon held yesterday in the present building adjoining the Union.

The red-brick clubhouse has been designed by the same architects who did Lamont, and it will be constructed shortly on the now vacant lot in front of the main entrance to Lowell House adjoining the Phoenix Club.

Speaking at the luncheon, Buck said that since 1930 when the Houses were built the Varsity Club "has been situated away from the center of student life. The new building near the Houses will bring the Varsity Club again into the center of undergraduate activities."

Alexander H. Bright '19, representing the varsity "H" men, told the diners that "it is our hope that this new clubhouse will be the preliminary step toward more active interest on the part of graduates, as well as undergraduates, in Harvard athletics."

Architects' Plans Described

According to the architects' prospectus the two-story building will include a dining room, which will seat 125 persons at training tables (if the H.A.A. revives the practice), a game room, a snack bar, and a "secluded terrace."

The building was made possible by the unrestricted gift of the late Allston Burr '89, who also gave the money in 1912 for the present structure.

Elliott Perkins '23, whose Georgian style Lowell will overlook the new club, issued a "no comment" last night on the proposed architecture of the clubhouse.