Tennis Team Will Oppose North Carolina Here Today

Local spectators will probably see the best tennis of the home season when North Carolina's Tarheels invade Soldiers Field courts at 2 p.m. today. Led by Clark Taylor, Vic Seixas' doubles partner of last year and nationally ranked singles player, North Carolina is one of the strongest outfits in the East. But the match should not be nearly so one-sided as the 13 to 0 and 12 to 1 pastings the Tarheels handed to an inexperienced Crimson on the spring trip.

Coach Jack Barnaby's team will be playing on familiar home courts where, as against Princeton, the varsity has shown staying power against stronger opponents. While North Carolina has great depth, the main troublemakers for the varsity will be the top three Tarheels--Taylor, Rlee, and Alexander.

Taylor, who comes from New Haven, plays the most spectacular game on the N.C. squad. His quick, aggressive play, coupled with decisiveness at net, mean that few points ever develop into baseline rallying.

Rice, at number two, has a smooth, effortless-looking style of play. Only a slight difference in aggressiveness keeps Rice down in the second slot. Alexander, at three, plays Taylor's hard-hitting game but without consistency.

Lining up for the Crimson will be the same slate that beat Brown, 6 to 3, at Providence yesterday. Broward Craig will lead off at number one singles with Captain Hilliard Hughes at two. Bob Bramhall will fill the third slot and Jack Frey, Mitch Reese, and Gerry Murphy will play four, five, and six respectively. Craig and Hughes will again play number one doubles, with Reese and Bramhall making up the second combination. Craig Combs and Bill Goodman will play the third doubles berth.

Teams Whip Brown

Yesterday both the varsity and freshman teams brought home victory from Brown. Jack Barnaby's team encountered heavier resistance than expected, losing one doubles and two singles matches in a 6-3 win. Broward Craig, Bob Bramhall, Jack Frey, and Gerry Murphy won in the singles department. Craig and Captain Hilliard Hughes, as well as Bill Goodman and Craig Combs won their two doubles matches.

Corey Wynn's Yardling squad lost only two sets all afternoon in a 9 to 0 whitewash of the Bruins.