Yardling Ten Rallies in Second Half, Defeats Tech, 7-4; Hatch Is Injured

M.I.T.'s freshman lacrosse team played far over its head for the first half yesterday, but succumbed to a third period Yardling rally, losing, 7 to 4, on the Business School Field.

The Engineers took at early lead, as Lee Karney threaded his way through the entire Crimson defense to score at 3:41 of the first period. Yardling defensive lapses and poor clearing throughout the first half set up all of Tech's goals.

After Norm Hatch converted Gus Palacios's pretty feed to tie the score, Engineer Jack Ehrenfeld slipped a shot into the Crimson cage at 3:35 of the second period.

Palacios knotted it up again at 8:20, but just before the half ended, Bruce Murray came in all alone on the Yardling goal and blasted a 30-footer past Bob Rosenman to give Tech a 3 to 2 half-time lead.

The Crimson played a better passing game with the start of the third period and tied the score at 3:35 on a goal by Don Stewart. Half a minute later, Ehrenfeld raced through a stunned Yardling defense to put Tech in front for the last time.

Yardlings Rally

Then the freshmen caught fire, scoring three goals in two minutes. They tied the game on a goal by Palacios and went ahead permanently on two more counters by Stewart. Palacios added the last point just before the period ended. Neither team scored for the rest of the game.

Both of Stewart's winning goals came on neat passing plays. Ex-goalie Walt Niemyski set up the first after a long run, and Ron Huebsch flipped from behind the goal for the second.