Corporation Considers Divinity School Changes

Plan Needs $6,000,000 To Insure Success

By Frank B. Gilbert

Thorough revision of the organization and curriculum of the Divinity School is now under consideration by the Corporation. The School has not only been operating at an annual deficit of about $25,000 but is also felt by University officials to be somewhat under the standards of the graduate schools as a whole.

The chief block to the proposed reorganization is the difficulty of raising $6,000,000 to re-endow the School. Divinity School alumni would not be a good source of large gifts as their average incomes are quite low.

Under the suggested program the School's enrollment and faculty would be increased and its curriculum would be severely changed to put more emphasis on social and psychological problems in teaching religion. The School currently stresses the historical approach to religion.

Attract Gifts from Large Corporations

Indications are that the proposed drive would hope to attract donations from large corporations "worried about the lack of spiritual leadership in the world today."

A final decision on the revision proposals is expected this spring or next fall. The School does not assume that its goals could be reached at once and, in any case, will operate next year as it has in the past.

Proposals call for a gradual growth of the School's enrollment from its present 115 up to 200 or later perhaps even higher. The current faculty of ten would at once be increased by three or four with its size eventually expected to reach 25.

The larger faculty would immediately make it possible for the Divinity School to start offering new courses that would include the social sciences, patterned after undergraduate human relations and social relations courses.

In addition to its small enrollment, the reasons for the School's annual deficit are its low tuition ($150 annually) and insufficient endowment of $900,000.

No consideration has been given to the idea of closing the School, as its endowment could not be transferred.