EARC Discards Trial Heats

All 12 of the varsity crews entered in the Eastern Association of Rowing Colleges regatta next Saturday at Annapolis will row together in one final race, EARC athletic directors decided this week. Meanwhile, the coaches entering boats have uniformly criticized the move because of the varying rowing conditions on the Severn River.

Crimson Coach Tom Bolles said yesterday that the "EARC, in abandoning its policy of holding preliminary heats in the morning, has raised several alarming problems for the coaches." He explained that the tides on the wide Severn course were practically unpredictable and that the current in lane one might vary considerably from that in lane 12.

Start Must Be Even

Bolles added that a 12-boat regatta, largest over held in the five-year history of the sprint championship race, also presented starting difficulties. "A slight difference in the starting of so short a sprint (2000 meters) could appreciably affect the race's outcome," he said.

The following colleges have entered varsity crews in next Saturday's three-event regatta: Boston University, Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, M.I.T., Navy, Penn, Princeton, Rutgers, Syracuse, Wisconsin, and Yale.

Since Wisconsin won the opening regatta in 1946, Harvard has captured three successive varsity sprint titles. Last year at Syracuse the junior varsity and freshman boats also won, giving the Crimson the first clean sweep made by any college.