Golfers Trounce Columbia, 6-1, in 1st Round Match

A "dark horse" Crimson golf team lived up to its reputation as a team to be considered, as it trounced Columbia yesterday, 6 to 1, in the first round of the Eastern Intercollegiate Golf Tournament at the Salem Country Club. In the two 18-hole rounds today, the varsity is a slight favorite over Princeton and is rated about even with Yale, the defending champion.

Number three man Sam Seager fired a one-under-par 35 on the first nine, and copped medal honors with a 73 as he trounced Columbia's George Buchbard, 8 and 7. In the number one spot, Captain Bob Matson shot a 75 to defeat Leo Daggett, 3 and 1 Doug Wilde squeezed out a one-up victory over Bob Lorenz.

Jack Denton and Dave Gorman won their matches, 2 up, and 2 and 1, respectively. Hugh Nawn coasted to a 5 and 4 win over Bob Pinckert. In the only Crimson loss, Paul Weissman dropped a 4 and 3 match to Ron Kuniholm.

Yale, which handed Princeton a 5 to 2 loss yesterday, will meet Columbia this morning, as the Crimson and Tigers play. The Harvard-Yale match is this afternoon. Winner of today's round robin will play in the second round next week at New Haven.