Yardling Lacrosse Team Plays at Williams

The freshman lacrosse team travels to Williamstown today to play the Williams freshmen in a game that Coach Dick Whitney is very anxious to win. Whitney was outstanding midfielder for the Purple for three years.

Whitney, who also played football for Williams, was out of action last year because of a recurrent knee injury. He coached the '52 Williams team last spring. Now he is a student at the Business School.

The Yardlings will be in fair physical shape for the game. High-scoring crosseman' Norm Hatch will be sidelined because of a sprained wrist, and midfielder Chuck Pyle is still out with a bad ankle. Otherwise, Whitney will be able to start his usual lineup.

Captain Rog Martin, whose play has been inspiring to the whole team, according to Whitney, will team with rangy Ted Sexton and Sam Huttenbauer on defense. Huttonbauer, a lacrosse beginner who just broke into the starting combination, has been "doing well."

Ron Huebsch, now completely over the effects of his early season illness, has helped to steady the first midfield. Huebach, Skip Johnson, and Hank Wood have looked good as a unit. They have passed well, and have been setting up cutting plays more often.

The second midfield has both speed and fight. Walt Niemyski, the ex-goalie specializes in long rushes, while Dick Cushnor and Buddy Lian play close-checking, aggressive lacrosse.

On the attack, versatile Don Stewart will take Hatch's place between Gus Palacios and Pete Franklin. Stewart has seen service at both defense and goal; Palacios and Franklin are a pair of veterans who have been close behind Hatch in the Yardling scoring. Franklin's passing is sharp and accurate, while Palacios has a hard shot.