University May Produce Film to Increase Interest of Applicants

The University may produce a commercial documentary movie about the College to stimulate applications for admission, Peter E. Pratt '40, director of Alumni Records, reported last night. The movie would be shown in secondary schools and would supplement talks by University officials explaining Harvard to prospective applicants.

A member of the Scholarship and Admissions Committee of the Associated Harvard Clubs is now discussing the various problems about the possible production with film companies that specialize in documentary movies. The movie was discussed at the Associated Harvard Club meeting last September in San Francisco.

The University should receive the report on the movie possibilities in the near future and will then decide whether the film is worth the costs involved. The University is also weighing the question of whether a movie is the proper medium to explain the College to the public.

Ivy Films Project Abandoned

The current project has no connection with the now-abandoned discussions begun last year with Ivy Films over possible production of a movie about the College. The talks now center around a professional production as opposed to one made by undergraduates.

A sample script was written last year when the University was discussing the project with Ivy Films. A number of other Universities, including Princeton, have made films to illustrate their undergraduate life.