'Cliffe Library Changes Book Sign-out Time

Council Votes to Keep Book Check System

Radcliffe Student Council yesterday bowed to student opinion by switching the checking out time for library open reserve books back from 3 p.m. to the original 1 p.m. hour effective Monday.

Continuance of the checking system through the end of the term also won approval, with the provision that library offenders will help staff the checking desk.

A poll taken in Briggs Hall by Council member Holly Walker '53 indicated that dormitory residents were solidly against the 3 p.m. ruling since it entailed an extra trip or holding the book in the library until that hour.

System Praised

An amendment to the 1 p.m. motion provided that all books used during the morning in the library must be signed for, subject to re-signing for overnight use.

'Cliffe librarian Ruth Porritt, who attended the meeting, praised the checking system and asked for its continuance. Only one missing book has been reported thus far.

Offenders Work

Mary McArdle '52, speaking for the library committee, recommended having Fiske Room offenders work on the checking system instead of erasing marks in books. Council members and student volunteers will be in charge of the desk at the crucial checking out hours at 1 p.m. and 5 p.m.

Yesterday's open meeting was the last Council meeting of the year.

Renovations planned for the Annex library over the summer will include a centralized checking out desk on the first floor for all books. The checking system may then be overhauled in accord with the requirements of the new setup.