Bulldog Nine Defeats Crimson, 2-1

Two Runs in First Inning Give Non-League Game to Elis; Turner Allows 3 Hits

NEW HAVEN, June 19--Barry Turner pitched the finest game of his college career here today, but it wasn't good enough; a Yale baseball team defeated Harvard for the 110th time. Under the approving eyes of over 1,000 Blues, the Elis picked up two runs in the first inning and carried them all the way to victory, winning 2 to 1.

Turner, who figured prominently upon the local baseball scene this year, limited the Bulldogs to three hits, but the two he gave up in the first inning haunted him through his seven long innings on the hill.

Six hits, four of which came in the three closing frames, weren't enough for the Crimson nine. Left-handed Bob Breckenridge matched Turner with a masterful performance with the aid of tight infield play.

In the first inning it appeared that the game would be a high scoring affair, as both pitchers seemed shaky. Johnny Caulfield, hitting second, smashed a single through short and then moved around to third when John White doubled down the third base line. Caulfield was out trying to score when Cliff Crosby tapped another ball to the left side. The side was retired when Akillian grounded out.

The all-important half of the first inning started when number two man Lou Kreuizer bounced one into the right field seats for a ground rule double.

Del Smith, next man in the order, lined one out toward the 370 mark but a circus catch by Charley Walsh momentarily staved off the scoring. Turner let up on Ed Syney, walking him to put men on first and second with two out.

And then Duke Gormley smashed a drive to centerfield. Ed Foynes moved into position fast and it looked like it would be good for only one base. A last minute bobble provided the undoing, however, and as Foynes struggled with the ball, two runs scored. Seventh, Walsh singled and went to second when shortstop Dowd threw badly. A wild pitch advanced him to third, and he scored on Myles Huntington's blooper single over second base.

Bids to score in the final two innings were stopped at second base, and it ended with the visitors one run behind.

The box score:   ab  r  h  po  a  e Foynes, cf  3  0  1  3  0  1 Caulfield, lb  3  0  1  5  0  0 White, ss  4  0  1  2  4  2 Crosby, c  4  0  0  7  0  0 Akillian, lf  3  0  1  2  0  0 Walsh, rf  2  1  1  2  0  0 Huntington, 3b  4  0  1  0  1  0 Cavanaugh, 2b  2  0  0  2  1  0 aCarmen  1  0  0  0  0  0 Young, 2b  0  0  0  1  0  0 Turner, p  2  0  0  0  2  0 bReilly  0  0  0  0  0  0 Webb, p  0  0  0  0  0  0 Totals  30  1  6  24  8  3

a batted for Cavanaugh in seventh

b batted for Turner in eighth

a batted for Cavanaugh in seventh

b batted for Turner in eighth