3100 Degrees Will Be Given In Yard Rites

Over 5,000 alumni will watch 3,100 students receive degrees tomorrow morning in Tercentenary Theatre. The morning procession starts into the Theatre at 9:30 a.m., and graduates and students will begin lining up in the "Old Yard" at 9 a.m.

Before the ceremony opens, Governor Dever will arrive with the traditional mounted escort. Following after the degree recipients, alumni and teachers, President Conant and the Fellows, together with honorary degree winners, will enter the Theatre.

Another tradition will then be followed when the High Sheriff of Middlesex Country starts the ceremony, announcing commencement and, at the same time, rapping the Memorial Church stage with his staff of office.

299th Commencement

This is the 299th commencement in the University's history; they have been consecutive since 1871. A 9 a.m. chapel service in Memorial Church always preceeds the event.

After the morning exercises, the alumni will hold a luncheon in the "Old Yard" and be serenaded by the Band until afternoon ceremonies begin. Seniors attending dinners in their Houses will receive their diplomas at that time.

The afternoon proceeding, traditionally a meeting of the alumni, will feature speeches by the most important honorary degree winners. This year, it has been learned, Secretary of State Dean Acheson and General Carlos P. Romulo, president of the United Nations General Assembly, and Philippine foreign secretary, will be among the degree recipients.

Clarence Randall '12, Alumni Association president, and Governor Dever will also speak. Chief Marshal Gardner Cowles '25 will lead the afternoon procession, which starts at 2 p.m.

In case of rain, both the morning and afternoon exercises will take place in Sanders Theatre.