Coaches Elect Gifford To All-American Crew

George Gifford, number seven oar on the varsity crew, won the came position on an All-American rowing squad picked by the nation's coaches in collaboration with the Seattle Post Intelligencer, that paper revealed yesterday.

A sophomore, Gifford has held his post only one season but has handled it with unusual competence. Last year the lithe, blond, 177-pound oarsman rowed at the seven slot in the undefeated '52 freshman boat.

Gifford's great value has been his ability to work in perfect harmony with stroke Louis McCagg. This pair and another from last year's freshman boat, Jim Slocum and Steve Hedberg, have formed a foursome which, working together in the stern of the beat, has been a valuable asset to the varsity this year.

It is Gifford's duty to telegraph to the port side the same rhythm which stroke McCagg sets for the entire shell on the starboard side. This he has done very well, partly because, after rowing behind McCagg all last year, he now apes him so excellently that he even imitates his mistakes.

The closest competitor to Gifford for the All-American honor was Washington's seven oar, Rod Johnson. Other members of the "ideal" crew are:

Ian Turner of California, stroke; Bob Weber of M.I.T., six; Norm Buvick of Washington, five; Lloyd Butler of California, four; Bob Young of Washington, three; E.N. Chipman of Navy, two; Cliff Rathkamp of Wisconsin, bow; and Al Morgan of Washington, coxswain.

"Normal" Crimson Progress

Other news from the Crimson's training camp at Red Top near New London disclosed that the progress of the crew preparing for the four-mile test of June 23 was "normal." Reports that the three oar, Ollie Iselin, was to be replaced by Ted Anderson because of injuries turned out to be rumor when trainer Dr. Harrison Kennard, in Cambridge for his 25th reunion, testified that Iselin had fully recovered from a slight strain within 24 hours.

Meanwhile, the four Crimson crews at Red Top continued to take two workouts of over four miles each day; the first before 7 a.m. and the second at around 6:30 p.m., times when the Thames is calmest.