Crew Seeks Vengeance Against Eli Tomorrow

One year ago a world which had shrugged off pestilence's, earthquakes, and threats of bigger and better wars to come was rocked perceptively when it picked up its morning newspaper and read that a reputedly anemic Yale crew had beaten an "invincible" Harvard shell.

Tomorrow when the Crimson and Blue meet for the 98th time in what is America's oldest intercollegiate event, Harvard is again the top-heavy favorite. The Cambridge side of the world is hoping for a placid Saturday.

The Elis have lost to Cornell, Penn, M.I.T., and Syracuse in what has been a very disappointing season, considering that seven men from last year's boat had returned.

The Crimson, on the other hand, has beaten all challengers except M.I.T. in the E.A.R.C. 2000-meter sprint, which the Engineers won by one tenth of a second. Yale placed sixth in this regatta.

Waiz Hunts for Stroke

Yale coach Skip Walz' big problem all year has been finding a man to put at stroke, the one spot on the 1949 boat that had been vacated by graduation. In his quest, Walz has tried many men, and the crew thus far has never been able to work as a combination for a long period of time.

For tomorrow's four mile race up the Thames, Gregory C. Gates, six foot four senior from Scuffled, Connecticut, will be at stroke.

Bolles Experimented Once

Tom Bolles on the other hand, has toyed with his Crimson combination only once, and then briefly. Early in the crew's stay at Red Top he switched Ollie Iselin to the J.V. beat, Ted Anderson to five oar in the varsity shell, and Steve Hedberg, the usual varsity five, to three--Iselin's old spot.

Soon afterwards, however, Bolles restored the crew to the old order of; Claney Asp, bow; Ken Keniston, two; Ollie Iselin, three; Ted Reynolds, four; Steve Hedberg, five; Jim Slocum, six; all-American George Gifford, seven; Louis McCagg, stroke; and Bill Leavitt, coxswain.

Yale's boating is; Michael Brewer, bow; Peter Peacock, two; Dick O'Connor, three; Plato Skouras, four; Don Knode, five; Stuart Griffing, six; Bob Jones, seven; Gates, stroke; and Byam Stevens, coxswain.

Four of the Yale oarsmen weigh under 170 pounds, a not too significant factor of which the Elis, however, make much in their press releases.

J.V., '53 Boatings Static

Lineups in the J.V. and freshman races remained the same as earlier in the season at last report.

Comparative time trial records for the two crews are inconclusive because of extremes in tidal conditions on the Thames. Daytime water conditions have been sufficiently unpleasant during the day this bring to force the crews to practice at 6:30 a.m. and a similar time at night.