Honorary Degree Recipients Speak At Afternoon Gathering of Alumni

Conant Will Make Annual Report

Three days of alumni festivities reach a climax this afternoon when the Alumni Association holds its annual meting in Tercentenary Theatre after lunch. On the docket are speeches by three honorary degree recipients as well as President Conant's annual report to the alumni.

Headed by Chief Marshal Gardner Cowles '25, the procession of the alumni will form at 1:30 p.m. in front of Harvard Hall for the march to the theatre. Commencement dignitaries assembled on the Widener steps will review the pageant.

The names of the three honorary-degree speakers are traditionally a secret and will not be officially announced until the start of the program. But this year it is very likely that two of the three speakers will be Secretary of State Dean Acheson and United Nations President, General Carlos P. Romulo.

Two Likely Speakers

The CRIMSON late last month reported that Acheson would probably speak and two days ago declared that Romulo would be another speaker. Acheson arrived last night by plane from Washington and dined with President Conant. His speech has been described as a discussion of cold war conditions and of U.S. policies.

At the meeting, Clarence B. Randall '12, president of the Alumni Association, will preside. Governor Paul A. Dever will also speak.

Randall will announce the results of the election of directors of the Alumni Association, members of the Board of Overseers, and members of the Harvard Fund Council.

The meeting adjourns with the singing of "Fair Harvard."

Spreads Precede Meeting

At noon, the alumni will hold class spreads under large tents set up in the Yard. Nearly 70 College and graduate school classes will hold luncheons in and around the Yard. President Conant, honorary degree recipients, members of the governing boards and other official guests will be entertained at the Chief Marshal's spread in Fogg Museum.

In case of rain the Alumni Association meeting will move into Memorial Hall, but alumni spreads, will take place as scheduled in the Yard. Tents will provide shelter.