314

Last Thursday was a heart-stirring day. A tradition of four years was broken on that day, and no one was disappointed.

On Thursday the '50 Album, called "314," was born.

For more than half a year the editors of this yearbook had been telling the populace that it was going to come out before Commencement. The populace turned up its nose and recalled the '47-'48 Album that came out last spring, or the '46 Album that arrived last fall. It spoke gently of the '49 Album that has yet to come out. It wasn't going to fall for a sales line.

So last Thursday came as a surprise to local cynics. In its first year of operation, Yearbook Publications Inc. had batted a thousand (its Freshman Register arrived not too late last fall).

The success of the book was a credit to the new philosophy of Yearbook Publications. The advantages of a permanent staff, self-reproducing and possessed of esprit do corps, over a subcommittee of the Senior Class Committee were manifold.

The New Yorker his said, "The first duty of a newspaper is to stay alive." Similarly, the first duty of a yearbook is to come out on time. "314," whatever may be said of its proof-reading, has fulfilled this requirement. It deserves high praise.