Professors Welcome Court's Ruling on Race Segregation

Four University faculty members yesterday hailed Monday's Supreme Court decisions outlawing racial segregation in Texas and Oki-ahoma graduate schools.

The two 9-to-0 decisions, both written by Chief Justice Fred M. Vinson, declared that the varieties of segregation practiced by the University of Texas Law School and the University of Oklahoma graduate school of education violated the "equal protection" guarantee of the Fourteenth Amendment.

The Court, however, did not say that all types of segregation were proscribed by the Constitution.

Arthur M. Schlesinger, professor of History, told the CRIMSON last night, "These decisions are fine. They are another indication that the Supremen Court is really doing more for race relations than any other organ of the government."

Restraint Used

Paul A. Freund, professor of Law, noted that the decisions "won't wholly satisfy either side" of the civil rights controversy. He said the Court has used restraint and had followed a "statesman-like course."

"It is a question," Freund said, "of the Court eroding away these restrictions without a resulting cataclysm."

Decisions Not Forced

Freund said he did not think the decisions were "preordained" by Court precedent, but Arthur N. Holcombe, Eaton Professor of Government, assorted that Monday's action "followed inevitably from previous decisions. . . . The court couldn't do much else."

Holcombe added, "The Court is putting a lot of heat on the people of the South to provide better education for colored people."

Robert G. McCloskey, assistant professor of Government, predicted, "It is going to be very hard from now on for any Southern state to carry on any segregated program in its graduate schools."