The BSO's New Series

Ever since 1881, when the Boston Symphony Orchestra was founded, it has been playing six concerts a year in Cambridge "to benefit Harvard University." But few undergraduates, for whom the concerts were intended, have been able to get into Sanders Theatre. The Orchestra's subscriptions have been mostly bought up by the faculty and residents of Cambridge before the College year even started.

Beginning next year the Orchestra will rectify this situation by adding a new concert series in Symphony Hall, double Sanders' seating capacity. These concerts, five in number, will be open only to students whose colleges are willing to take the responsibility of selling tickets.

For the first time, now, students who have had the cultural aspect of Boston drummed into their ears but who have never been able to take advantage of its can hear the BSO.

Though the Orchestra has not year decided whether tickets for its new concerts will be sold singly or by the series, they will be kept at a minimum price. The seats will be unreserved so that late-comers, shunted into the balcony, will not disturb the rehearsal, and so that students may sit with dates. If there is enough demand for tickets next fall the Orchestra will have a second Thursday night series the following year.

The Boston Symphony has done a good job in answering what has been an obvious need.