University's Plans Stress 'Normalcy' Despite War

But Plans Set for Quick Shift to Wartime Basis If Situation Worsens; Over 15 Men Called

By Douglas M. Fouquet

"Keep things as normal as possible" is the initial Harvard reaction to the war in Korea.

Although the summer has brought University Hall its share of the national tension, the long arm of the Defense Department has tapped few here and the University is going ahead with its pre-Korea plans for the 1950-1951 academic year. But Harvard will be ready to take steps "as the war situation becomes clarified," Provost Buck said last week.

So far, fewer than 20 College students, several more graduate students, and only one faculty, member have been lost to military service. But no one will know the whole story until the University adds up registration totals tonight.

Faculty Reservists

The first faculty member called to service is Stephen M. Parrish, teaching fellow in English. He was activated as a lieutenant commander in the Naval Reserve three weeks ago and is now in Washington. Thomas E. Crooks '49, assistant dean of freshmen, has been called up and passed a preliminary physical examination for the reserves, but Mc-George Bundy, lecturer in Government, failed to pass his test when called up for a similar examination.

Many other younger faculty men are on the danger list, Dean Bender said, since a large number of them are reservists. Even Dean Bender himself is a lieutenant in the Naval Reserve, and at Graduate School, Dean Rogers is a lieutenant colonel in the Marine Reserve.

No Emergency Steps

Because these military calls have made such a small dent so far, it is unlikely that the University will soon return to such emergency measures as midterm graduations and summer terms. But the University may undertake more scientific projects for the Navy.

If the international situation deteriorated, these are some of the other ways Harvard could be hit:

A 10 to 15 per cent rise in prices could force the University to raise tuition fees. If many students were called into service and enrollment dropped sharply, Harvard would and is doubly hard to balance its budget without a tuities rise. With the increase is individual and carporate taxes, moreover, gifts to the University might decrease sharply.

A greater emphasis on non-liberal arts courses could be expected. During the last war the liberal arts virtually disappeared as Navy V-12 students concentrated on courses with wartime importance.

As time goes on, the Administrative Board will set proposals for any wartime mobilization of Harvard's resources before Provost Buck and the Faculty. Roger W. Hickman, director of the Jefferson Physical Laboratory and assistant to the Provost, will journey to Washington October 6 as the University's delegate to a National Conference for the Mobilization of Education.

In the meantime, Dean Bender said, "Things will be kept as normal as possible.