Varsity Eleven Holds Light Workout

Squad Works Out with B.U. Today; O'Brien Now on 1st String

The varsity football squad trotted through its livliest workout of the pre-season practice period yesterday, in preparation for this afternoon's global scrimmage against Boston University in the Stadium.

For the first time nine fall practice started on September 7 (excluding the first few days solely to limber up), the Crimson did no real contact work. The two-hour morning session was about largely on pass defence, with Carroll Lewenstein, Bill Kierstead, and Hardy Cox doing the throwing.

The matinee featured A punting exhibition by Lowenstein and Gil O'Neil. O'Neil, who was dropped to second string quarterback over the weekend in favor of Lewenstein, is a sturdy sophomore who kicks with his left foot and passes with his left hand. He is quite adept as a punter, but Lowenstein holds a decided advantage when it comes to paining.

Calisthonics Continue

The squad also indulged in calisthenics and wind sprints, hit the dummies in blocking drills, and run offense against dummies. Big Paul O'Brien returned to the first string center post after working his way up from the third team. Red Lewis went down to O'Brien's old slot; Buddy Lemay remained as number two center.

Coach Lloyd Jordan naturally does not know what to except of his men, but this afternoon's scrimmage--Harvard's first pre-season outside test since 1947, when Dick Harlow's squad scrimmaged B.C.--should give him some idea. The Terriers have already scrimmaged Brown and Army. They tied the Bruins, 33-all, and are reported to have fared fairly well against the Cadets.