Annex Class of 1950 Has Good Job Hunt Record: Few Getting Married

Nineteen fifty saw employment chances for Radcliffe graduates jump nine percent over those of their immediate predecessors. With the imminence of a manpower shortage the odds ten for this year's seniors are even better.

The annual poll taken by the Annex Appointment Bureau showed that 50 June graduates were already working or 27 percent as appeased in the decade's low of only 18 percent of the Class of '49. A full 34 percent of the earlier class was still pounding the pavements in December of 1949, while the currently active job seekers from the Class of '50 amount to a mere ten percent, at least as far as the Bureau is concerned. Thirty-eight members from last June's class of 188, who may or may not be working, have sent no word to the Annex offices and therefore could not be included in the poll.

Wedding Bells Quieter

Marriages and graduate studies dropped as job opportunities for 'Cliffedwellers. Thirty percent of the forty-niners had wedding or engagement rings on their fingers six months after graduation. A scanty one-third of that number from the Class of '50 have walked down the aisle.

Graduate work fell only four percent between the two classes, from 28 to 24. Thirteen girls from '50 remained at Radcliffe; seven in the arts and sciences, four in the Management Training Program, and two in the Nursing Program. Harvard Law School attracted five 'Cliffe scholars and the Medical School, one. Three others are continuing their studies abroad.

Teaching Still Tops

Most of those actively looking for jobs marked time with some summer graduate work or secretarial training, 12 percent have taken up the latter since graduation. The summer publishing course drew three percent, although calls for employment in the editorial fields remain relatively low.

Teaching remained the top calling, drawing eight of the 50 employed. Calls from prospective employers to the Appointment Bureau are high in this field. The largest rise in job opportunities for women was in scientific research and related fields, and this job area promises to expand in the future. Prospects for employment in the sciences are also high due to the low percentages of women with preparation for work in the field.

Shorthand Helps

Secretarial skills were also found to assist girls in breaking into fields of their choice even where the more advanced positions did not require them. This proved especially true in publishing work.

Four percent of the Class of '50 put off facing the employment situation by extending their summer travels at home and abroad for the duration of the year.

The sudden and somewhat unexplainable drop in the number of 'Cliffedwellers getting married will probably play havoc with the statistics inevitably issued each year to the effect that Harvard men marry a greater percentage of Radcliffe women than any other species, collegiate or otherwise.