7 Grid Foes Open Today; Yale Meets Brown at Bowl

All of Harvard's opponents, with the exception of Yale, open the 1950 football season this afternoon. It will be number two today for the Elis, who beat Connecticut, 25 to 0, last Saturday.

The Bulldogs face no "breather" in the Bowl this week. Herman Hickman will run a fast backfield but a light line against Brown, expected leader of the Ivy League's weaker teams.

Two other New England teams pair off at Hanover, as Dartmouth takes on Dr. Eddie Anderson's revitalized Holy Cross eleven. Anderson, former Iowa coach, has a couple of clever T quarterbacks in Charlie Maley and Paul Gallo, though he is a little short up front. The Cross may give the Indians a tough workout, but Tuss McLaughry has a capable line, a fast backfield, and one John Clayton--the finest T quarterback in the Fact.

No "Softie" for Cornell

Columbia will prepare for its Cambridge appearance next Saturday by playing a decidedly out-manned Hobart at Baker Field. Lou Little, who rebuilt from the bottom last season, is working this fall with a fast backfield paced by sophomore Mitch Price, but just how much else the veteran coach possesses probably will not be known until the Stadium opener.

Ivy league champion Cornell will have rougher going than Columbia this afternoon at Ithaca when the Big Red meets Lafayette. Two weeks ago this game figured to be the usual opening "softie" for Cornell, but last Saturday Lafayette was barely beaten, 20 to 19, by Fordham. This gam might be a contest as late as the third quarter.

Big Three-Little Three

The champion of the Big Three faces the top of the Little three at Plamer Stadium today. Williams will find Princeton far out of the Amherst-Wesleyan class, however, Charlie Caldwell's eleven has a good chance to take the Ivy as well as the Big Three crown this year. Williams is taking a long trip just for experience.

The officer who schedules the Army games has a rare sense of humor. West Point opens this afternoon against Colgate, which won only once last year. If Colgate wins a game this year, that victory most certainly won't be at the expense of Colonel Earl Blaik.