Grads' Furniture May Be Outlawed

Stndents in the new graduate school dormitories who have been tossing University furniture out into the hallways may soon find the University doing the same to their furniture.

William G. McLoughlin, assistant dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, admitted yesterday, that his office has been disturbed recently over reports that dwellers in the new Center have been importing sofas, bookcases, and other large furnishings from old rooms. This influx of comparative period pieces has forced the furniture designed by center chief architect Walter Gropins, professor of Architecture, out of the small rooms.

Congestion

The problem lies in the fact that the present furniture has been specially designed to the best functional advantage of size and use for the comparatively small quarters. Large pieces of student-owned furniture cause congestion in the rooms, resulting in increased wear-and-tear on the University desks, chairs, and beds.

"If the flow of student furniture keeps coming for the next few weeks," McLoughlin said, "it may be necessary for the Dean's office to make a ruling that nothing can be moved out of the rooms and nothing new moved in without specific permission."

An exception to ruling, if it ever has to be enforced, will probably allow extra bookcases, supplied either by the University or the student. A primary complaint from residents has been the lack of bookspace.

Rules have already been established in the Graduate Center, similar to those in the Houses, concerning extra charges for electrical apparatus.