THE CLASSGOER

Annual Shopping Guide

At Harvard, nearly everyone reads the catalogue. Until their heads are buzzing with courses and hours and meeting places and half remembered advice that someone else's roommate gave them two years before. The result is a week of vacillating and browsing-known as "shopping around,"-for a fourth course, or one to audit, or just something to fill in the time between book lines. Here are some suggestions.

For early birds with an hour to spare this morning, Merk's History 162, "The Western Movement in the U. S.," meets at 9 a.m. in Harvard 1. Reputed excellent.

Ten o'clock is crowded. Cherington's Government 155a, "Government Regulation of Industry," is a good course under an expert showman (Emerson D). Finley's breathless lectures in Humanities 2 are rated among the College's best (Fogg Large Room). Music 1, under Davison, convenes in Paine Hall. Failings in the lectures are compensated for by the frequent keyboard illustrations. Dream course for auditors, Allport meets Social Relations 1a in New Lecture Hall. One of the top elementary courses in the College. Also in Social Relations, Sorokin's lectures are an experience not to be missed. "Contemporary Sociological Theory," S.R. 113, in Emerson 311.

Eleven is an ideal time for class, between breakfast and lunch, cramping neither. Gucrard, with a reputation of being an excellent but demanding lecturer, is giving Comp. Lit. 166, a half course in the "Forms of the Modern Novel." It could be a very good bet (Emerson D). Nock's History of Religions 101 is highly entertaining. Good to listen in on occasionally (Harvard 5). Kenneth Conant's Fine Arts 179, "American Architecture." is non-technical, not difficult, and excellent to audit. Slides and aucedotes (Fogg Large Room).

At twelve o'clock, Aiken's lectures in Phil. 75 are excellent. A good introductory course (Emerson D).