Brown Thwacks Hockey Team, 4-1

Hard Checking by Bruins Thwarts Crimson Attack; All Goals Come in First Period

Four quick goals in the first period gave Brown a 4 to 1 victory over the varsity hockey team in its Pentagonal League opener last night before 2,200 spectators in Providence. Neither team could score in the last two periods in a rough and fast game marked by 12 penalties.

The Bruins got the jump on the Crimson, which never could got its attack clicking consistently. Cooney Weiland's sextet fought Brown on even terms after the first period, but it was too late. The Brown defense's poke-checking, and good back-checking by Bruin forwards, along with excellent play by goalie Don Whiston, told the story.

Bob Wheeler opened the scoring on a close screen shot at 4:05, but Hal Marshall tied it up for Harvard a minute later on a 15-footer into the corner on a Joe Kittredge pass-out. John Casey put the Bruins ahead at 6:20 after stick-handling past the Crimson defense, and Wheeler added another on assists by Don Sennott and Tony Male at 9:37. Defenseman George Zernet ended the scoring on a hard shot from the blue line at 15:34. Brown's aggressive first line of Sennott, Wheeler and Malo accounted for eight of the Bruins' 11 points.

Harris Out for Six Weeks

Doug Anderson suffered a five-stitch cut over his eye in the first period, but returned to action late in the game. He has been playing in place of Nat Harris, second-line wing, who broke his collarbone in the second North Dakota game, and will be out for six weeks.