Law School Anticipates Drop in Fall Enrollment

GSAS, Business School See Small Decrease; Med School None

By Joseph P. Lorenz

The Law School alone of the four largest graduate schools yesterday foresaw a considerable dip in enrollment next year as a result of student losses to military service.

Only slight decreases in enrollments were predicted by the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and Business School, while the Medical School foresaw no change at all.

Of 974 current first and second year Law students, 220 are immediately vulnerable for military service, Louis A. Toepfer, director of Admissions, revealed yesterday. Returns to a December questionnaire showed that 134 are now under orders, while 86 are classified 1A.

The admissions director also reported that applications for next September's first-year class are now proceeding at a normal rate, but he added, "It's a long way from application to registration." As a result, the Law School expects next year's enrollment to be "considerably lower" after the end of the present academic year.

Little Change at GSAS

At the GSAS, very little change is expected next year from this semester's enrollment of 1727. Dean Rogers said that the likelihood of deferment is greater in the GSAS than in all other grad schools except the Medical School. Rogers has written deferment letters for 174 students, and only three of these men have been called.

Although the Business School expects a 50 percent drop in applications for next year, the prediction was partly based on the school's new $15 application fee, and one official anticipated a flood of late applications. The school has no figures on the draft status of its current students, but no enrollment drop next year is foreseen.

The Medical School has not had to bother about questionnaires or deferment letters. All that is necessary to defer a medical student is a form letter saying that he is actively enrolled in Medical School. The draft has had an effect on applications, however, for according to one official, many more college juniors are now applying to Medical School than ever before.