Modern Language Group Objects To Tenure Status at California

The Modern Language Association, with a membership of 6,000, has recommended to its members that "in view of the present unsatisfactory tenure conditions for teachers and research personnel" in the University of California they "do not accept positions in that university until such conditions improve."

The Regents of the University of California have put the faculty on an annual appointment basis, thus violating their "right of tenure" and, according to the professors, "where tenure is violated, academic freedom goes."

Harvard M.L.A. members have decried this situation, Charles S. Singleton, Professor of Romantic Languages, who was influential in framing the M.L.A. resolution, stated, "It is my hope that such a resolution can contribute to the improvement of these conditions."

"I am wholeheartedly in favor of the recommendation," commented Harry T. Levin, professor of English.

The yearly salary acceptance form at the University of California has been reworded to include the sentence, "This is to notify you that you have been appointed professor of ..... for the period of ..... with a salary of .... per annum." Normally the rank of professor or associate professor or eight years of service denoted the permanent status of tenure.

The fracas started last April when the University's President Sproul announced "that no faculty member enjoyed any rights of tenure whatsoever." Professors now claim that they are at the mercy of the Regents, since, with tenure disrupted, conditional reappointment is possible.

Loyalty Oath

Last April 22 California faculty members refused to sign a loyalty oath, or a letter of acceptance, stating that they had no connections with the Communist Party. The transition from salariy acceptance form to "Appointment Form" was made by the Regents as a result of the discussions over the reappointment of the non-signers.