Cadets Close Fast To Hand Quintet 4th Straight Loss

By Michael J. Halberstam

Once again the basketball team showed its unfortunate habit of going almost--but not quite--all the way, as it lost to Army, 62 to 54, Saturday at the Blockhouse. The game was the Crimson's fourth straight loss, and eleventh loss out of 15 contests. The varsity summary: HARVARD (54)   G  F  P Hickey, g  2  0  4 Murphy, g  1  1  3 Urdan  1  1  3 Lionette, c  1  1  3 Stevenson  3  0  6 Gabler, f  4  2  10 Smith (C), f  10  5  25 Totals  22  10  54 The freshman summary: HARVARD (61)   G  F  P Krinsky, f  1  0  2 Gremp, f  2  5  9 Blodnick, c  5  5  13 Steiner  3  1  7 Dennis (C)  9  2  20 Condon, g  2  1  5 Culver  1  1  3   23  15  61

Army, which has now gone five games without a defeat, is an above average team, but with three minutes left to play, the Crimson was behind by only three points, 57 to 54. From that time on, only Army was able to score.

Ed Weaver sunk a foul shot, and Captain Ed Tixier pushed in a long set-shot from the corner. Behind by six points, Harvard pressed hard on defense to gain possession of the ball, but succeeded only in letting Tixier get loose under the basket and score an easy lay-up.

In this same time the losers were unable to score at all. Captain Ed Smith, playing the full 40 minutes for the first time this year, was the Crimson's only scoring threat, but fatigue hampered him in the last minutes. Overeagerness to score prompted the Crimson to take shots from too far out when it fell further behind.

For most of the game, however, Norm Shepard's team played its most aggressive game of the year. Rebounding was spirited and defensive play tight. The zone-like man-to-man defense which the Crimson used had the Cadets baffled in the second half, and only by very fine set shooting was Army able to score.

Harvard worked the ball in well, but missed many easy lay-ups. Six foot seven Ed Smith scored most of his ten baskets from outside.

Army led, 30 to 35, at the half, mainly because of Ed Weaver's hook shots. Weaver, who was high for the winners with 22 points, was held down in the second half at the expense of outside defense.

The Yardlings led throughout their game with Brandeis, and won, 61 to 56.