Survey Shows Students Feel Draft Jitters

War jitters have hit the nation's colleagues and many students are adopting a "what's the use" attitude because of the uncertainty of world conditions and their own futures, a United Press survey reported yesterday.

The survey of more than 53 colleges and universities showed that many students had been called into Reserve units and that large numbers of students had planned to enlist after mid-term examinations rather than wait to be drafted in June, since some choice of service had been available.

Direct Appeals

Officials at many schools interviewed by the United Press said that they had made direct appeals to students to "live as usual from day to day and try not to worry." But some admitted privately that they "don't blame" students for being jittery, when their draft statuses were so hazy.

Authorities at the University of North Carolina and Duke University suggested that students go to school around the calendar to finish the educations in three years rather than four. Duke announced this week it would admit freshmen in June.

President Conant in his annual report to the Board of Overseers reported in yesterday's CRIMSON, also has recommended the shortening of undergraduate training to three years.

The United Press survey makes no specific reference to student attitudes at Harvard. It simply states that at Yale, Harvard, Dartmouth, Brown, and Princeton, a "general unrest" was reported.