Bender Says '52, '53 Will Probably Have Deferments

The present junior and sophomore classes will probably be deferred until graduation, Dean Bender told 200 freshmen in the Union last night.

He said that this was just an opinion.

Bender added that the status of this year's freshman is uncertain, but that anyone could obtain a deferment, at least until the end of an academic year. In any case, he admonished, "We shouldn't pity ourselves."

One Choice: Enlist

By enlisting during the year, Bender stated, one can choose the branch of the armed forces one l serves in. On the other hand, he added, it may lengthen the time of service by as much as two years.

Bender told the freshmen that college policy is to give full credit for a term's work if a student leaves after ten weeks of that term and provided he requests credit. Tuition refunds are given to students who leave before ten weeks of a term.

"Uncle Joe"

"Uncle Joe is enjoying the current confusion about the draft in the United States," he declared.

"This is 1951, not 1942. This is not total war. War may have one, but I don't think so," he said. Bender added that he thought the Russians haven't chance against Western intelligence and production, unless the democracies are weakened by internal conflict.