2nd New MIT Non-Scientific School Named

Continuing its policy of broadening its educational outlook by departing from strictly scientific fields, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology last month announced plans for the establishment of a new school of industrial management.

Previously the same week, Dr. James R. Killian, Jr., M.I.T. president, had disclosed that a school of humanities and social studies would be instituted. The two new schools will provide a needed emphasis to courses already listed in the M.I.T. curriculum.

Funds for the industrial management school were made possible by a $5,250,000 grant from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, Inc. Dr. Karl T. Compton, chairman of the M.I.T. corporation, stated that the idea for such a school is not new, since M.I.T. has offered courses in business and engineering administration since 1914.

Uses Lever Building

The new school will occupy a modern air-conditioned building on Memorial Drive formerly used by Lever Brothers. In case the war situation, however, forces M.I.T. to carry on an extended program of scientific research for the government as it did in World War II, the building will be devoted to this urgent purpose and the new school will be postponed. Lever Brothers abandoned their Cambridge headquarters a year ago when they consolidated all branch offices into a main New York office.

Although the building site will be tax-free when the property is turned over to educational uses, M.I.T. will continue its policy of paying the City of Cambridge the equivalent of taxes on the land for 20 years. Both Harvard and Radcliffe follow a smilar plan on their campuses.